I use Notepad++ for anything nowadays, and if I'm on Linux I prefer KATE
11-21-08, 01:45 PM   #42
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
I actually get more FPS in WoW, TF2 and CSS using Linux :P
Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
I use Notepad++ for anything nowadays, and if I'm on Linux I prefer KATE
Using KDE you get more FPS on Linux than on Windows? Last time I had KDE running it was a resource hog. Maybe I should give it a try again.
11-21-08, 03:54 PM   #43
Arathon
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
This thread has my curiosity perked as well... I just might give it a whirl as well..
11-22-08, 11:41 AM   #44
CodeRedLin
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by FrankN View Post
Using KDE you get more FPS on Linux than on Windows? Last time I had KDE running it was a resource hog. Maybe I should give it a try again.
KDE runs quite well with 192mb. So it really isn't a lot of resources taken from WoW.

I only have 1 system with a direct comparison of Windows and Linux WoW fps. A laptop with an Nvidia 6150 (shared mem). They both get low fps. ~15 fps. But turning / movement is much smoother on Linux. I don't use a window manager on the laptop though when gaming. I manually startx up with just an xterm set to load WoW.

On my desktop it is solely Linux. AMD64x2 4000, 2GB ram, Nvidia 9600 1gb. It runs the game very well but I can't possibly believe Windows wouldn't get higher FPS. I think I'm getting ~30 fps in Northrend.
11-22-08, 11:46 AM   #45
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
It shouldn't but some hard core Nerds/Geeks/whatever seem to feel that if your editor is too cushy, your not doing it right. Or maybe they just think whatever they use must be superior to everything else

Personally I like the XKCD take on the topic:
http://xkcd.com/378/

(Yes I'm sure this is completely on topic! Really!)
Haha, I was actually thinking of that xkcd strip after posting!

On KDE: There's a nice, tweaked version of KDE called KDEmod available on Archlinux. I recommend it if it's your thing.

Last edited by shkm : 11-22-08 at 11:55 AM.
11-22-08, 01:51 PM   #46
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by shkm View Post
Haha, I was actually thinking of that xkcd strip after posting!

On KDE: There's a nice, tweaked version of KDE called KDEmod available on Archlinux. I recommend it if it's your thing.
I never could get Arch installed on my laptop. Well, I got it installed, but it didn't like me having a root and home partition. And the installer was not that great, the arch devs need to swap out cfdisk for something else like parted.

By the way, Yhor, did you make your decision yet?

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
11-22-08, 04:59 PM   #47
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I've been running Ubuntu using Wubi and I like it a lot. The only thing I log onto windows for since I've installed Ubuntu is to play WoW. For everything other than gaming I don't find much difference other than there being a lot more products and services in areas I like for Ubuntu (free). I won't go for a full transition until I do some comparisons in WoW, but if it's close to equal I don't think I'll use Windows any more.
11-22-08, 10:47 PM   #48
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Free software isn't about price, it's about freedom.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
11-27-08, 09:25 AM   #49
Pikestaff
A Defias Bandit

Hiya, I'm the Pike who keeps getting pageviews from the link on the first page of this thread =P (Thanks Saanlem!)

I do indeed run WoW on Kubuntu Linux (yes that's KDE, I've had no problems with it and I much prefer it over GNOME ;P ) via Wine. My first toon was level 70 before I ever played on Windows. Although I ran Linux exclusively on (all my) systems for a few years, as of last year I now dual-boot Linux and WinXP on my main computer for one reason: I can't get Ventrilo to work on Linux. (Trust me, I've tried eeeeeverything.) So sometimes I do have to pop over to Windows for raids or hanging with the guildies. I try to use Linux for my WoW'ing as much as possible though.

WoW on Linux runs near-flawlessly for me, and while I have noticed no framerate differences between that and the Windows version, one thing I have noticed is that for some reason that I haven't quite ascertained, I have little to no lag on Linux. There was a day last week when I was constantly getting disconnected and booted from the game on Windows, I hopped over to Linux and the problem was solved. Quite epic!

Now I get lots of e-mails and the like from people with questions about this sort of thing, typically what I tell everybody is firstly that everybody's computer produces different results, and secondly that you will probably have be prepared to do a little Googling and digging around and get your hands dirty a bit. It takes me about two days to get WoW working and fully functional on a fresh Linux install of mine (granted, that's between eight-hour work shifts, and sleeping, but ya know). The point is that after you install WoW it's not ready to play out-of-the-box, you've gotta mess with the settings and tweak stuff, and it can take a while.

Also you do have to keep in mind that sometimes you will run across issues and Blizz can't help you on them. Much of the time these are Wine issues that will be solved in the next update. Regardless, you can typically find answers to these in the Official Ubuntu Forums. A recent example was a bug that made it so you couldn't get past the Terms of Service when installing WotLK. There were a few workarounds to this (one of which was detailed in my blog when I was installing beta), for me I simply wound up installing on Windows first and copying the whole shebang over to Linux.

TL;DR VERSION: It's not for everyone but it worked well for me and it might work well for you too, just don't go rushing into it thinking everything will work 100% perfectly right out of the box! I mean, it might, but... come now, it's Linux. It wouldn't be Linux if you didn't have to mess with it, right? =P

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
Free software isn't about price, it's about freedom.
I agree with this comment. Much <3

Last edited by Pikestaff : 11-27-08 at 09:28 AM.
11-27-08, 10:43 AM   #50
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Pikestaff View Post
Although I ran Linux exclusively on (all my) systems for a few years, as of last year I now dual-boot Linux and WinXP on my main computer for one reason: I can't get Ventrilo to work on Linux. (Trust me, I've tried eeeeeverything.)
You also tried this? At least it made Ventrillo work for me
11-27-08, 11:35 AM   #51
Pikestaff
A Defias Bandit

Yes I did, I am afraid it did not work for me though-- as said I really did try everything XD Pretty sure it's just my version of Kubuntu which is a few years old but which I am unable to upgrade at the moment for a few reasons, the main one being my wireless internet connection. Hopefully soon I'll move into a new place with a landline internet and I'll be able to get serious again about trying. (sorry, had to use the Peanut Butter Jelly Time smiley, couldn't resist)
11-29-08, 04:04 AM   #52
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Ventrilo may not work for you, but depending on the size and open-mindedness of your guild and/or whoever else you use it with, you could perhaps try Mumble/Murmur. I used it for a short while and have never since experienced better sound quality in such a program--I now run a small Ventrilo server with sound quality set to the second-highest value on Speex, and it doesn't even come close. I won't even bother comparing to TS2.

It runs on at least Windows and Linux, but I can imagine there being *BSD & Mac versions. Unfortunately, this beautiful application never got the attention it really deserved.

Edit: Just realised it requires qt4 on Linux, which could be why it was never that popular.

Last edited by shkm : 11-29-08 at 04:08 AM.
11-29-08, 08:54 AM   #53
manix
A Murloc Raider

not sure if that is enough

I am real fan of GNU/Linux from long time Slackware 3.xx was my first distro. I use Kubuntu on my laptop as primary OS and have it on my desktop computer too, but still I think playing wow in linux with wine aint good.

Don't know how some people claim they have better fps in WoW on linux.
I have mid video card(X1950GT) 60 fps in windows and that goes to 30 on linux.
There are also too many troubles with screen gliteches and stuff on linux, atleast for me.

I have read about fixxing some of them, but still it can't compare with playing experience on windows.

Native client will be super, but that will never happen imo. So for me WoW goes only on windows.
11-29-08, 11:38 AM   #54
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Ubuntu's support for wireless internet has vastly improved over the last 3 versions or so. Personally I'd at least consider giving the upgrade a shot, about a year ago Ubuntu was the only distro that my wireless just worked out of the box on. Everything else required injecting modules into the kernel, and running a special deamon every time I wanted to go online.
Yes I did, I am afraid it did not work for me though-- as said I really did try everything XD Pretty sure it's just my version of Kubuntu which is a few years old but which I am unable to upgrade at the moment for a few reasons, the main one being my wireless internet connection. Hopefully soon I'll move into a new place with a landline internet and I'll be able to get serious again about trying. (sorry, had to use the Peanut Butter Jelly Time smiley, couldn't resist)
11-29-08, 11:41 AM   #55
Vyper

Originally Posted by manix View Post
Don't know how some people claim they have better fps in WoW on linux.
I have mid video card(X1950GT) 60 fps in windows and that goes to 30 on linux.
Are you using the the proprietary NVIDIA drivers? If not, you should be for gaming. 90-95% of the time, the generic VGA drivers are why people think Linux is inferior as a gaming platform. If you are running Ubuntu, the proprietary drivers should be showing up as "Restricted Drivers". Make sure the NVIDIA driver is activated, and you will likely see a vast gain in performance.
11-29-08, 01:06 PM   #56
manix
A Murloc Raider

Are you using the the proprietary NVIDIA drivers? If not, you should be for gaming. 90-95% of the time, the generic VGA drivers are why people think Linux is inferior as a gaming platform. If you are running Ubuntu, the proprietary drivers should be showing up as "Restricted Drivers". Make sure the NVIDIA driver is activated, and you will likely see a vast gain in performance.
X1950GT is ATI RADEON card and yes I use the proprietary driver with latest version of Ubuntu, everything is up to date with me. Never old kernel, drivers and stuff and still WoW is better on windows.

For the people playing with old versions of some distros, I must say always upgade to latest version.
Ubuntu 8.10 introduced new kernel 2.6.27 and wireless with that kernel is times better then old ones. Also support in kernel for webcams and many other things is improved.

Last edited by manix : 11-29-08 at 01:08 PM.
11-29-08, 07:18 PM   #57
Vyper

Originally Posted by manix View Post
X1950GT is ATI RADEON card and yes I use the proprietary driver with latest version of Ubuntu, everything is up to date with me. Never old kernel, drivers and stuff and still WoW is better on windows.
Whoops! You'd think I'd have noticed that! Actually running ATI may be the majority of your problem (not that I'm saying NVIDIA is a better card). Last I used ATI (which was about a year ago so things may have changed), their Linux support was extremely poor, vs NVIDIA which puts in the effort to ensure that the card runs just as well under Linux as windows.
11-29-08, 11:56 PM   #58
Pikestaff
A Defias Bandit

Ubuntu's support for wireless internet has vastly improved over the last 3 versions or so. Personally I'd at least consider giving the upgrade a shot, about a year ago Ubuntu was the only distro that my wireless just worked out of the box on. Everything else required injecting modules into the kernel, and running a special deamon every time I wanted to go online.
Yes indeed, I have tried every Kubuntu version since 6.06, and every Kubuntu version post-6.06 has simply not worked with my wireless card. I've even put a couple days of hackery into some of my attempts to try to get them working, but to no avail. It is a conundrum =P
11-30-08, 01:46 AM   #59
Vyper

Yes indeed, I have tried every Kubuntu version since 6.06, and every Kubuntu version post-6.06 has simply not worked with my wireless card. I've even put a couple days of hackery into some of my attempts to try to get them working, but to no avail. It is a conundrum =P
Hum... when you run lspci, what shows up for your wireless card?

Also have you been trying the Upgrade? Or a fresh install of the newer version?

Lastly is your wireless being handled by /ect/network/, KDE, or some other tool (wlassistant)?

Last edited by Vyper : 11-30-08 at 01:48 AM.
11-30-08, 08:57 AM   #60
manix
A Murloc Raider

Whoops! You'd think I'd have noticed that! Actually running ATI may be the majority of your problem (not that I'm saying NVIDIA is a better card). Last I used ATI (which was about a year ago so things may have changed), their Linux support was extremely poor, vs NVIDIA which puts in the effort to ensure that the card runs just as well under Linux as windows.
Since they opened their specification and other things, they did a lot of work on their driver implementation and now I must say it is good driver.

What did you try, I was having some problems with my wireless and managed to run my wireless in few different ways. NDIS way it worked with no problems, but i wanted native driver and after last kernel release I found one for my laptop(realtek 8187b i think) and on my desktop PC it is broadcom chip, Ubuntu find and install it ok. On other distros got both working too np.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Windows or Ubunto?