05-20-10, 01:35 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
AVR Mod Broken in 3.3.5

Bashiok posted Blizzard's plans to disable the ability for mods like AVR to exist, as of 3.3.5:

This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps.

The original notice is here.

Last edited by Cairenn : 05-20-10 at 01:43 PM.
05-20-10, 03:24 PM   #2
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Ahhh - blizz delaying the enevitable...let folks do things now, that in a few weeks, the ICC buff will let them do anyways...

Marth

05-20-10, 03:37 PM   #3
Ither
A Firelord

YAY about time. Why the hell would I want something to tell me how to play? Addons are great, but those that "tell" you what to do is unwanted.

I want to enjoy the game, not be an autonomous robot.
05-20-10, 05:11 PM   #4
Thomdril
A Murloc Raider
I actually agree with you Galtar and feel the same, how ever, I recognize that what you and I may consider fun is different for someone else. The parts of the game that challenge us is fun for us, for others it may not be...so I'm sad to see Blizzard taking this stance.

Last edited by Thomdril : 05-20-10 at 05:30 PM.
05-20-10, 06:08 PM   #5
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Galtar View Post
YAY about time. Why the hell would I want something to tell me how to play? Addons are great, but those that "tell" you what to do is unwanted.

Except that no one makes you use any addon at all. I'll assume that you wanna get rid of buff-helpers (Pallypower, etc), and item comparison mods that make it easier for you to compare the stats between 2 items...it's "making a choice" for you, by your definition, right?

Sad thing is, AVR is an addon that used the information already sent to the client to display stuff. Wonder when they are going to break AH mods so it's not as easy to list auctions.

Or click-to-cast mods so you can't click to cast anymore....or HUDs...<shrug>

They all make it easier.

(edit here) p.s.: If you raid, and use any sort of raid boss addon, I'll expect you to stop using it as well, based on your logic, as it tells you when things are happening, instead of you paying attention to the mob itself and making choices yourself based on what you, yourself, see, hear, etc...

Marth

Last edited by Marthisdil : 05-20-10 at 06:11 PM.
05-20-10, 06:25 PM   #6
Ither
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
(edit here) p.s.: If you raid, and use any sort of raid boss addon, I'll expect you to stop using it as well, based on your logic, as it tells you when things are happening, instead of you paying attention to the mob itself and making choices yourself based on what you, yourself, see, hear, etc...
I love people like you, you make me rich off your stupid assumption. A+ DUDE!

Yes. I raid with no addons! I'm elite like that! (That was sarcasm if you don't know)

DBM is not AVR.

Item comparison is not AVR.

Pally Power is not AVR.

Telling you where to stand because your stupid, is well stupid! DBM advises us on what is coming. It doesn't necessarily give you a big damn arrow or draw a circle on the 3d world saying "GO HERE IF YOU WANT TO LIVE IDIOT!"

There's a HUGE difference in advising, and TELLING. AVR was a mod that TOLD you what to do. It essentially took quick reaction and thinking out of the game. DBM still requires you to utilize what little pea size brain you have to go "Hmmm, what exactly does Inhale Blight do?"

You an argue the point all day long because you are just FAR superior than I, but frankly you just made an ass of yourself. If you want to talk, make sure you know what the hell your talking about.

I still stand on my grounds, AVR was a mistake and I'm truly glad to see Blizzard lock it down! Before you know it AVR mods WOULD have found a way to make it automatically control your character. Hell, anything is possible right? God, could you imagine raiding and doing nothing more than just staring at the screen while AVR makes your toon move from one highlighted spot to another?

PS. If you are threatened or butt hurt by my response, I apologize. I'm German and I don't really care about your feelings.

05-20-10, 07:03 PM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Let me just jump in here to Marthisil's defense. Not everyone who plays is as elite as you proclaim yourself, Galtar.

Not everyone is as experienced in raids and dungeons as you seem to be.

Not everyone will know precisely where to stand or what to do at any given moment.

An addon such as AVR can and I'm sure is helpful in gaining some knowledge of what to do and when to do it.

Does a need to gain knowledge make a player a "stupid idiot" as you put it?

i don't think so...

Does insulting other people who post in this thread lamenting AVR's numbered days make the troll that throws the insults out like yesterday's trash make the troll a stupid idiot?

Quite possible...

Oh, if you can't tell, I'm not German, but I don't really care about your feelings either.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
05-29-10, 01:22 AM   #8
jadakren
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Galtar View Post

I find your fail logic amusing.

Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
AVR was superimposed onto the 3D world, it broke the barrier between the game UI and the 3D world, something that is already frowned on with things like texture modifications.
Could you clarify, does AVR manifests its output as mere UI frames with textures that are a warped to match perspective?
Therefore at the same level as the oUF_HealLines i adapted from a couple other mods....

I mean there isn't some new API that lets you actually draw on the 3d world.

Last edited by jadakren : 05-29-10 at 01:32 AM.
05-29-10, 01:38 AM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by jadakren View Post

Could you clarify, does AVR manifests its output as mere UI frames with textures that are a warped to match perspective?
Therefore at the same level as the oUF_HealLines i adapted from a couple other mods....

Its much like comic books when characters make references to them being in a comic. Known as breaking the 4th wall. It breaks the "illusion" of the game world by having graphics that are superimposed over it and keep perspective with your camera and motion.

While not physically in the 3d world it interacted (for the most part) as though it was. Blizzard as we have seen did not like this.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
05-29-10, 11:02 AM   #10
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by jadakren View Post

Strictly speaking, AVR is draws in the 2D world. It does some math magic using the camera info to figure out how to transform a 2D texture to appear as if it's 3D. That's why AVR can't accurately draw a correctly sized texture over stairs, because it has no knowledge of where, or even if stairs exist.
05-29-10, 03:59 PM   #11
Ihadurca
An Aku'mai Servant

I personally use very little "helpful" addons. Most addons I use is just to make my screen look pretty and cause I forget to bring out my pet I use one for that. ^_^

I saw AVR. In order to go on a raid once it was required I downloaded it. I immediately disliked it. I pay blizzard to play this game, why would I pay to not play it now? That's kind of how I see it. I immediately deleted the addon and I'll never use it.

I understand why some people defend the addon.

"For people who don't raid, it helps them gain the knowledge of raiding"
"Some people just are not as good as others so they need the help"

But I don't see it as help I see it has hindrance. If you have something telling you what to do, you're not really learning, just avoiding to learn. They become dependent on this addon, and if it wasn't there, I don't think they would be as good.

Kind of like math and a calculator. If I use the calculator to do all my math for me, how will I ever learn what 2+2 is?

But that's just my personal opinion. ^_^

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » AVR Mod Broken in 3.3.5