05-21-10, 11:19 AM   #21
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I've never used the AddOn myself while raiding because, well, I don't like to be told what to do in the sense that AVRE does.

However, I was thinking of installing and using it, to draw in Dalaran, and see where that takes me until the next minor patch :P

I'm also glad, on another note, it's taking it's leave because Ruby Sanctum is coming, and I'm excited to do the encounter with little to no boss mod AddOns That is the best I MO, experience it first hand, without boss mods, because well, no one really does know the fights yet, now do they? At least, not the general public of WoW, maybe just DBM in the PTR or what have you....

...I'm babbling...
05-21-10, 11:27 AM   #22
AsheruWolf
Premium Member

Premium Member
I tried AVR on my PC that is old and already gets only 5 FPS anyway. To be honest it didn't really help me too much as I know the fights and as a healer I have to pay attention to the raid health on top of where I am but it can be usefil to see things like if Im out of the AoE range or what not. Just my two cents.
05-21-10, 01:02 PM   #23
Sythalin
Curse staff

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
They're disabling camera CVar access.
Ugg. Sucks for anyone who has a camera mod such as myself. Unless they're still gonna allow access to the saved camera positions. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
05-21-10, 01:40 PM   #24
Nafe
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
Phew! I can live with that. I was actually concerned how they planned to prevent the addon from working. On the other hand won't that also break TomTom?
Let's hope they just disable access while in an instance, or even better, within combat in an instance.
Since they've already stated they don't have plans for more World Bosses, there probably won't be an encounter outside of an instance.

This would leave AVR working as a communication tool (which, admittedly, is very helpful) while strategizing, but prevent AVR encounters from telling people where to go when.
05-21-10, 01:58 PM   #25
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
Phew! I can live with that. I was actually concerned how they planned to prevent the addon from working. On the other hand won't that also break TomTom?
It won't, TomTom uses facing and other stuff, but not camera.
05-21-10, 05:18 PM   #26
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

Having just player facing is okay I guess... was how pdir was written originally (guess I have no excuse to not go back and update it now... man I'm lazy sometimes...).

I guess I'm mostly sad since I had this 'ah hah!' moment one day when I realized I could get the camera cvars (what I was actually trying to do at the time was create automated camera moves for filming), and 'discovered' you could do stuff like this. At one point I had all these plans about drawing the ping into the 3D world (simulated of course), but well, the usual laziness took over. This was way way way back too... the demo video I posted on Google Video is... *searches* dated April 2007. I dunno if libcamera (which AVR doesn't use anyhow) came upon this independently or whatever, but I guess having figured this out myself at one point, I'm just sad to see it not work anymore...

As to AVR... *shrug* tried it out, it's neat, but never tried out AVRE for the boss mods thing, so won't be something I'll miss. Mainly will just miss the fact that one more neat hack is gone...
05-21-10, 05:46 PM   #27
Holyana
A Defias Bandit

I think it's horrible that they are taking this out. It is a mod that is able to help people who have mental disabilities and are good at raiding and dps except for not being able to move where they need to. I know that people with disabilities will suffer from this.

And my medication makes me a bit slow sometimes, as I have Fibromyalgia and take Neurontin, so I know that this could have helped me when my medication makes me hurp durp durp.
05-21-10, 06:44 PM   #28
rain3x
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Galtar View Post
YAY about time. Why the hell would I want something to tell me how to play? Addons are great, but those that "tell" you what to do is unwanted.

I want to enjoy the game, not be an autonomous robot.
Then enjoy the game by not using it, and quit complaining about something that doesn't effect you if you don't use the mod.

Originally Posted by Holyana View Post
I think it's horrible that they are taking this out. It is a mod that is able to help people who have mental disabilities and are good at raiding and dps except for not being able to move where they need to. I know that people with disabilities will suffer from this.

And my medication makes me a bit slow sometimes, as I have Fibromyalgia and take Neurontin, so I know that this could have helped me when my medication makes me hurp durp durp.
This. We had 2 deaf people in our guild, this mod definitely made it a lot less stressful for them too.
05-21-10, 07:50 PM   #29
Symbolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'll miss it. It was a lot more convenient than running all over the place and jumping up and down to show where things would be happening/standing.
05-22-10, 09:17 AM   #30
forty2j
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Their problem, though, is that they don't have any way to know that mod that can help the disabled is only being used by the disabled. And if today's players can find anything at all that increases their chances, they will use it, so this was getting used by perfectly healthy "normal" people to trivialize encounters.
05-22-10, 10:10 AM   #31
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

OMG, couldn't they have told this before? I was halfway with AVRQuest...
05-22-10, 10:26 AM   #32
Havok
A Murloc Raider

If Blizzard feels that this is something they want to help players with disabilities, then make your voice heard on the official forum. They did add a colorblind mode for people who are that, so why not this?

The problem though, is that when the game plays itself, then it goes against what Blizzard wants from the game.

Let's just hope the authors don't find away around the lockout. Don't want Blizzard to take more drastic measures.
05-22-10, 11:11 AM   #33
Symbolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
If Blizzard feels that this is something they want to help players with disabilities, then make your voice heard on the official forum. They did add a colorblind mode for people who are that, so why not this?

The problem though, is that when the game plays itself, then it goes against what Blizzard wants from the game.

Let's just hope the authors don't find away around the lockout. Don't want Blizzard to take more drastic measures.
I'm kinda confused by the "game plays itself" bit.

Is there some functionality to AVR/E that I'm missing, that moved your character around/did stuff for you?
05-22-10, 11:21 AM   #34
Havok
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Symbolis View Post
I'm kinda confused by the "game plays itself" bit.

Is there some functionality to AVR/E that I'm missing, that moved your character around/did stuff for you?
No, it did not. But it showed you exactly where to stand, the area of effect from attacks etc. I used the term to describe this, I apologize for not giving an example.
05-22-10, 11:27 AM   #35
dafire
Premium Member
1st. It obviosly helped people more then blizzard wants.

2nd. they don't want addons alter the 3d world.

Blizzard broke addons in the past and will continue to do so... QQ won't help here :9
05-22-10, 07:49 PM   #36
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Dang, Megaman AVR drawings will be gone soon.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
05-23-10, 05:18 AM   #37
Mrcoolmods
A Kobold Labourer

Code and maths behind AVR are very clever, so from a technical standpoint, breaking the mod is a shame but AVRE did simplify a lot some encounters and being able to draw pseudo-3D shapes on a overlay above the WorldFrame, though not on the WorldFrame itself, was a bit audacious!
05-23-10, 06:57 AM   #38
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Havok View Post
No, it did not. But it showed you exactly where to stand, the area of effect from attacks etc. I used the term to describe this, I apologize for not giving an example.

I know of two popular boss mods that use big pointers to tell you which way to run for certain events. Does this mean the pointers will be gone, too?
05-23-10, 01:00 PM   #39
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I know of two popular boss mods that use big pointers to tell you which way to run for certain events. Does this mean the pointers will be gone, too?
People are mostly just mixing up how they are describing why it got removed.

AVR was superimposed onto the 3D world, it broke the barrier between the game UI and the 3D world, something that is already frowned on with things like texture modifications. Boss mod arrows are on the game UI, even thought they can visually look 3D, they aren't superimposed onto the game world. Nameplates are sort of a grey area, they are technically 2D but move based on 3D objects.
AVRE was Decursive all over again which lead to the secure lockdown in 2.0, if boss mods start doing too much (by whatever standard Blizzard uses), they'll break the portion they think crosses the line.

I'm not going to argue if it's right or wrong, but that's just the difference between something like AVR(E) and BigWigs.
05-23-10, 03:41 PM   #40
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

It's a bit annoying that Blizzard are only banning it because it is superimposed onto the 3D world, rather than looking at what the addon provides and why that might be unacceptable, which is why I think this movement is out of order and should lead to the removal of many other 'big arrow' addons in terms of their similarity in function to AVR/E.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » AVR Mod Broken in 3.3.5