04-20-16, 04:41 PM   #41
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
An update!? Christmas came early, boys!!

Allow me to jump right in:

- Rare/Elite frames look great! I absolutely support the decision to make the wings unique to bosses. My only suggestion would be (in the final package) to have an option to toggle these on/off for personal preference.

- I wouldn't worry too much about spec-specific portrait flares, but class specific is an interesting idea with good potential. I'd love to see what you have in mind! Beware of clutter creep, however.

- That threat glow is hot. I like the current size, however I suppose I'd need to see it in combat to really get a grasp of how noticeable it is. I'm sure you have already, but play around with different sizes in a raid/dungeon setting to see how it feels.

- Combo points look great! I know you had monks done originally, but I'm curious if you've added the capability to adjust from 4 to 6 Chi? I'm really looking forward to what you'll come up with, animation & art wise, for other resource bars. Color me stoked!

- I won't lie here, but I'm not a fan of the cast bar position. I would say put the player's above the secondary resource, but I see myself and others using that space for weakauras and such. Here's what I'm thinking: put player cast bar below the floating action bar; put target cast bar floating above target frame. Like that it will allow for the buffs to be placed beneath that character frames.

I'm really liking where you're going with this, and your open communication with the community is awesome! Keep it up buddy.
04-20-16, 05:18 PM   #42
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Making lots of things toggleable? Eeh. Don't know about that, feature creep is one thing but a cluttered options panel is another. Watching out for cluttered design choices is literally my job, though, outside of this hobby project, so personally I'm confident enough that I wouldn't make a cluttered design. Just little extra flairs for fun. I think I'm just going to roll with centered cast bars and move cast bars as mentioned earlier, as that'd be the easiest option, and castbars are anyway going to be on the list of movable elements.

And the resource bar is pretty much just adjusted depending on how many elements are on it. 3/5 chi points, 3/5 holy power, there's a slight bit of texture warping but it kinda works. Just the edges that look narrower with fewer powers and wider with longer, heh.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out what to do about those goddamn warlock powers. Soul shards, that's just icons, and demonic fury is a status bar. Fair enough. But burning embers, resource icons that are technically also status bars? A little tempted to just make them icons. They'll be gone in Legion, anyway, so I don't want to fret too much with something that'll get removed soon enough.
04-20-16, 06:08 PM   #43
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Then don't let my amateur opinion get in the way of creativity! I'll leave it up to the professionals

And yeah, if the cast bars are movable I really wouldn't worry much about a default location. And on the topic of worrying: if the power's getting changed in legion, no point in getting your panties up in a bunch about em now. Just opt for the simplest solution until the xpac drops :P
04-21-16, 04:28 AM   #44
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Any chance to share thoose elite/rare textures? Or just draw me something similar? :P
04-21-16, 07:28 AM   #45
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Any chance to share thoose elite/rare textures? Or just draw me something similar? :P
Send me a message about it, I guess. Let's talk about it!
04-21-16, 05:06 PM   #46
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

So Zork let me leverage his Burning Embers and Demonic Fury oUF modules for this project, which is awesome! Got Burning Embers and Soul Shards in so far, probably won't be too long before I get around to doing Demonic Fury as well. Then after that, Eclipse is the only class resource yet to be done.

The soul shards are either there or not there, while the burning embers glow when they're full. Kind of a shame to know it'll be gone in the future, because that glow is just delightful. Definitely getting ideas for some things in Legion here.
04-21-16, 10:41 PM   #47
syncrow
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Every time, you post another part of your UI art design, I'm gettin a bit frustrated cause I am not so skilled ;D

N.I.C.E. resource stuff!!
04-21-16, 10:42 PM   #48
Yukyuk
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by syncrow View Post
Every time, you post another part of your UI art design, I'm gettin a bit frustrated cause I am not so skilled ;D

N.I.C.E. resource stuff!!
Yeah, my feelings exactly
04-21-16, 11:48 PM   #49
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Nice work :3 damn, sometimes I regret not adding portraits to my unit frames, hehe, they provide so much extra space
04-22-16, 12:53 AM   #50
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm itching for this UI to come out. Your overall aesthetic is just too cool. Keeps the fantasy feel of the classic WoW UI, but adds a clean, modern flare to it. It feels like what the default UI should have been by now if the devs continued to develop it over the years. I can't wait to use this while leveling in Legion.
04-22-16, 10:50 AM   #51
bartg71
A Murloc Raider
this is lovely so far--keep it going. Cant wait for a released version to play with!
04-22-16, 11:20 AM   #52
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Aw, thanks everyone, you're all too kind!

Just finished the Demonic Fury bar here. At this pace, I'll probably have a release for this thing during next week.
04-22-16, 11:54 AM   #53
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Next week!?

I think you're my new favorite person.
04-22-16, 01:53 PM   #54
bartg71
A Murloc Raider
Yay Folji !! Can't wait!
04-22-16, 04:35 PM   #55
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

No pressure right? :b

Here's how the Demonic Fury bar turned out, by the way.

And the Eclipse bar, too!

The Demonic Fury bar glows when Metamorphosis is active, and the Eclipse bar glows when either of the peak buffs hit. Then in Legion, going to run a similar suit with some resources and displays, like an Enrage bar, Combustion bar, Maelstrom display, etc.
04-22-16, 06:06 PM   #56
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Loving the subtle patterns. I'm broke now, but if you keep up this kinda work, once I get some money in the bank I'd feel inclined to throw some your way. Or buy you something from the in-game shop at least. Your work is seriously top notch.
04-23-16, 11:41 AM   #57
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Awesome.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
04-24-16, 11:11 PM   #58
Couches
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hey Folji!

Out of curiosity, is the current primary action bar background texture finalized, or are you still planning on tweaking it a bit?
04-25-16, 08:25 AM   #59
lightspark
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

@Folji, about embers, fury and other class powers. IMHO, if I were you I'd work on Legion version of UI, cuz many class resources will be either removed or revamped.

Working on something that will be outdated in few months may be a waste of time, but ofc it's up to you :3

Last edited by lightspark : 04-25-16 at 08:38 AM. Reason: rephrased...
04-25-16, 08:41 AM   #60
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
@Folji, about embers, fury and other class powers. IMHO, you'd better be prepping Legion version of UI, cuz many class resources will be either removed or revamped.

Working on something that will be outdated in few months may be a waste of time, but ofc it's up to you :3
Legion is still several months away! For now I just had to get in the things absolutely necessary as far as class resources go, and doing so has given me the foundation for easily implementing new such things in Legion. So it's all working out!

And as for whether textures and whatnot are finalized, naah. If you ask me you're never really finished with something. Just start with something that works, then come back a bit later with the feedback you've got and evaluate how you an make it even better. Make it work, then make it work better.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Looking for layout/design feedback!