03-20-11, 09:11 AM   #1
Nensec
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
So, Carbonite is dead?

Its been nearly 2 months since the last update and there are still some ground breaking bugs in it that pretty much prevent its use at times. Have the devs stopped working on carbonite completely now?

03-20-11, 11:11 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Nensec View Post
Its been nearly 2 months since the last update and there are still some ground breaking bugs in it that pretty much prevent its use at times. Have the devs stopped working on carbonite completely now?
they could be working on the next patch for 4.2

03-22-11, 05:52 PM   #3
Taabissa
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
While I wish there was a new version out that fixed the current issues, I hope they will have a release ready for 4.1

03-23-11, 01:51 PM   #4
Truster
A Murloc Raider
i think, carbonite is dead.

I'm already searching for good alternatives.

03-23-11, 03:09 PM   #5
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
That would explain why I haven't been left into Carbonite Supporters.
Drat, I knew i shouldn't have support it - its the kiss of death!

03-24-11, 07:41 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No, I don't think Carbonite is dead. I think the developers just got very busy in their everyday lives, and don't (at the moment) have time for WoW. When things get back to normal for them I'm sure we'll hear about it.

03-24-11, 09:44 AM   #7
Jigain
A Molten Giant

I'm with Jeffy on this one. So far it works - sure, there are a few bugs like the Blackwing Descent one, but nothing keeping you from using the addon. And at the very least, the Carb team will come to the rescue once patch 4.1 comes out and the addon has to be updated with new maps and such.

03-25-11, 01:55 PM   #8
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

We're still around and hope to have a new version out soon. It will include some bug fixes, a quest database update and addition of mailboxes & innkeepers to guide. EDIT: Also added about 8-10 missing flight masters

Sorry it's been so quiet lately but both Faatal & I have been super busy with our RL jobs; he's wrapping up his latest iPhone game and I've just gotten done with WWE All Stars.

Last edited by Haavok : 03-25-11 at 02:03 PM.

03-25-11, 10:54 PM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Hey, welcome back! Good to know things are, sort of I guess, getting back to normal for you guys.

03-26-11, 12:23 PM   #10
Nensec
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Alright, cool then!
Now that I know the project isnt abandoned i will just patiently await an update : )

03-28-11, 03:41 PM   #11
Truster
A Murloc Raider
hi haavok, thats sounds really good.

03-31-11, 12:10 PM   #12
Kreelor
A Firelord

We're still around and hope to have a new version out soon. It will include some bug fixes, a quest database update and addition of mailboxes & innkeepers to guide. EDIT: Also added about 8-10 missing flight masters
I am very happy that the team will be continuing with this addon.

Per your comment (quoted above), I am hoping that one of the 1st things on the list will be to fix the ? in Carboniteaddon. I used to use it quite often, but now it's totally broken.

It's good to have a RL job, huh? ha ha

04-07-11, 05:57 PM   #13
tug
A Kobold Labourer
Happy to hear...wish it was still subscription based, and i know i haven't donated in a while but when the update goes live i pledge to donate.
thanks for all you do and i know that RL must always come first.

04-17-11, 07:06 AM   #14
Paprika
A Black Drake
When? That is the question. I'm wishing to renew my World of Warcraft subscription, but I won't play without Carbonite.

Last edited by Paprika : 04-17-11 at 09:30 AM.

04-19-11, 10:55 PM   #15
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
When? That is the question. I'm wishing to renew my World of Warcraft subscription, but I won't play without Carbonite.
dude thats just sad refusing to play just because a popular mod isnt updated...

FYI carbonite does work on live i use it but if it broke i would still keep playing.

04-20-11, 11:37 AM   #16
Kreelor
A Firelord

I, for one, will have to agree with Paprika.

The thought of trying to play this game without the excellent mapping graphics (and other map features) causes me anguish!

My neighbor doesn't use the Carboniteaddon, and when I'm playing the game with him (he on one of his computers, and I am playing on his other computer), trying to navigate the World of Warcraft, and complete quests with Blizzard's default (and nearly-worthless) mapping system, is a royal pain in the butt!

It makes me angry that Blizzard chose NOT to build into their game the many great features that addon authors have devised. Blizzard had the tools (and, presumably the "know how" to do it), but they chose not to.

Carboniteaddon provides so many useful features, that playing without them, would result in far less enjoyment. It would also increase the time to complete quests, dramatically! Just the loss of the Warehouse feature, would be a shock! My memory isn't good enough to keep track of every item on each of my 10 characters, including the items they have in their individual banks. Warehouse does it for me.

The same holds true for using the Auctioneer addon suite. I can't suffer the thought of buying/selling at the AH without knowing the approximate, current Market Value of items in advance. Just blind guesswork (the way Blizzard has it set up).

But, it seems to me that both addons are going to be merly a "fond memory," since neither of them has been updated in months!

Just my "two-cents worth."

04-20-11, 03:17 PM   #17
silverfirese
A Kobold Labourer
Why reply saying you can't play without Carbonite? Download the latest one, install it, play the game. It works fine. Also auctioneer has been updated, just last month.

I just hope the next update includes achievement tracking, like where particular books, critters, and whatnot are. That's the only thing QuestHelper has on Carbonite atm, in my opinion. I figure they'll pop out an update when the patch hits.

04-20-11, 07:55 PM   #18
Crissa
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Time is money, and would you really pay the overhead to have Blizzard's $70+ an hour programmers add these features to the game?

Some people think part of the game is remembering where things are on the map.

-Crissa

04-21-11, 05:16 AM   #19
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
I, for one, will have to agree with Paprika.

The thought of trying to play this game without the excellent mapping graphics (and other map features) causes me anguish!

My neighbor doesn't use the Carboniteaddon, and when I'm playing the game with him (he on one of his computers, and I am playing on his other computer), trying to navigate the World of Warcraft, and complete quests with Blizzard's default (and nearly-worthless) mapping system, is a royal pain in the butt!

It makes me angry that Blizzard chose NOT to build into their game the many great features that addon authors have devised. Blizzard had the tools (and, presumably the "know how" to do it), but they chose not to.

Carboniteaddon provides so many useful features, that playing without them, would result in far less enjoyment. It would also increase the time to complete quests, dramatically! Just the loss of the Warehouse feature, would be a shock! My memory isn't good enough to keep track of every item on each of my 10 characters, including the items they have in their individual banks. Warehouse does it for me.

The same holds true for using the Auctioneer addon suite. I can't suffer the thought of buying/selling at the AH without knowing the approximate, current Market Value of items in advance. Just blind guesswork (the way Blizzard has it set up).

But, it seems to me that both addons are going to be merly a "fond memory," since neither of them has been updated in months!

Just my "two-cents worth."
Auctioneer is still being updated.. everyday on there main website..
Carboniteaddon get's updated every patch..
So I don't know where you got your info but it's wrg

04-21-11, 07:29 AM   #20
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by shadow78 View Post
Auctioneer is still being updated.. everyday on there main website..
Carboniteaddon get's updated every patch..
So I don't know where you got your info but it's wrg
Just to clarify something here: Auctioneer might very well get updated every day on the Auctioneer web site, but only if you care to use the Developer Version. The stable Release version is still v5.10 and was released on 3 - 6 - 2011. Even the Preview Version was released back on 3 - 14 - 2011.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-21-11 at 08:07 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » So, Carbonite is dead?