08-31-16, 07:15 AM   #1
dragonflyy
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Copy a button

I have an addon that is a popup for battle pets. See PetBattleJunkie. I have a button on there that casts the Pet heal that has an 8 minute cooldown. Have most of it there, just doesn't have a tooltip. I know I can add the tooltip myself but I got to thinking, is it possible to copy the PetJournalHealPetButton that is in the standard WoW interface? If so, would make it easier to create the button (just copy and go).
08-31-16, 08:06 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

There is no "copy a frame" function in the WoW API. If you want to create a button that's exactly like another button, you have to do it the long way. Create a frame of the same type (eg. "Button") that inherits from the same template (if any) and then set all the same properties, create all the same children and regions, give them the same properties, etc.

In this particular case, you actually can't use a 100% duplicate of the PetJournalPetHealButton because it calls "CastSpellByID" in an OnClick script, but an addon isn't allowed to do that. You'll need to inherit from "SecureActionButtonTemplate" instead of "SecureFrameTemplate" and then use attributes instead of an OnClick script:

myButton:SetAttribute("type", "spell")
myButton:SetAttribute("spell", GetSpellInfo(125439))

If you already have a button and just want to add a tooltip, you can just reuse the tooltip functions from the Blizzard button:

myButton.spellID = 125439
myButton:SetScript("OnEnter", PetJournalHealPetButton_OnEnter)
myButton:SetScript("OnLeave", GameTooltip_Hide)

Last edited by Phanx : 08-31-16 at 08:08 AM.
08-31-16, 12:39 PM   #3
dragonflyy
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
There is no "copy a frame" function in the WoW API. If you want to create a button that's exactly like another button, you have to do it the long way. Create a frame of the same type (eg. "Button") that inherits from the same template (if any) and then set all the same properties, create all the same children and regions, give them the same properties, etc.

In this particular case, you actually can't use a 100% duplicate of the PetJournalPetHealButton because it calls "CastSpellByID" in an OnClick script, but an addon isn't allowed to do that. You'll need to inherit from "SecureActionButtonTemplate" instead of "SecureFrameTemplate" and then use attributes instead of an OnClick script:

myButton:SetAttribute("type", "spell")
myButton:SetAttribute("spell", GetSpellInfo(125439))

If you already have a button and just want to add a tooltip, you can just reuse the tooltip functions from the Blizzard button:

myButton.spellID = 125439
myButton:SetScript("OnEnter", PetJournalHealPetButton_OnEnter)
myButton:SetScript("OnLeave", GameTooltip_Hide)
Thanks much

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Copy a button