11-18-07, 07:15 AM   #1
Vaalcan
A Cyclonian

Question Cartographer help

Hi all,
I just installed this wonderful UI and I am immensely pleased with it all so far but I have one very small problem.
Previously I used Metamap and got very used to it but Cartographer comes with Mazzle and I'd like to get used to using that instead. Strangely I can't seem to find any info on how to use it. ie how to set waypoints, mapnotes etc

Can anyone point me at a webpage that will give me the lowdown on what to do with Cartographer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Vaalcan : 11-18-07 at 09:54 AM.
11-19-07, 02:16 AM   #2
sgtsolidus1
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
cartogropher lately is having some problems if you;re more used to metamap you can replace cartogropher with metamap without problems. alo if you instance alot i would suggest atlasloot because once again cartogropher is having some problems.
11-19-07, 05:43 AM   #3
Vaalcan
A Cyclonian

Cheers I think I might just replace Cartographer with Metamap for the time being as all my old mapnotes still come in useful and I miss them. I did find a download for importing Metamap.lua into Cartographer but although I followed the instructions to the letter it didn't import.
As you say Cartographer seems to be having problems, probably best to stay with what I know. I did use Atlasloot too so I think I'll put that back as well.

Thanks again, loving this interface so far (though I'll have to knuckle down and learn the button placement as I died a few times last night trying to find my chain fear macro )

Oh and while I'm here, I used Auctioneer with my old ui and thought I'd install it again and found the new auctioneer advanced which I thought I'd give a go. Sadly when I went to the AH and opened the browse auctions frame the text for the items was so small as to be unreadable and no amount of tweaking with font sizes changed it. I removed Auc advanced and went back to standard Auc and all is well. Anyone else found this problem?
11-19-07, 10:47 AM   #4
DeTard
Premium Member
Premium Member
People are having problems with Cartographer because they aren't following instructions and starting with new SVs. If you are going to go to Metamap anyhow, there is no problem with just starting fresh, so I'm unsure as to why people keep holding out and wanting to keep notes. They won't be able to preserve those when they go to Metamap anyways.
11-19-07, 11:32 AM   #5
Curumtiny
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by DeTard
People are having problems with Cartographer because they aren't following instructions and starting with new SVs. If you are going to go to Metamap anyhow, there is no problem with just starting fresh, so I'm unsure as to why people keep holding out and wanting to keep notes. They won't be able to preserve those when they go to Metamap anyways.
What do you mean DeTard on the SVs? Is there a post for that I have been able to see information on fixing the Cartographer. I would love to get mine fixed again.
11-19-07, 11:45 AM   #6
Banalina902
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I think he means that you need to rename your WTF folder so that you don't use any of the saved variable (SV) files that is stored there.

edit: removed silly sentence

Last edited by Banalina902 : 11-19-07 at 11:50 AM.
11-19-07, 11:52 AM   #7
Luhar
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by DeTard
Could anybody list the specific SVs to delete instead of deleting the entire WTF folder? It's a real pain reconfiguring Bongos and my keybindings every time I delete WTF. It would be so much handier to simply remove the offending SVs that are keeping Cartographer from working properly.

If nobody else has done this, I can do it myself after work tonight, but it'd be nice if somebody who knew what they were doing could do it for the rest of us nubs.
11-19-07, 12:07 PM   #8
Vaalcan
A Cyclonian

I don't really have any problems with Cartographer except not knowing it as well as Metamap. My old ui install I used Metamap for almost 2 years now so I have notes stretching back over many many characters Horde and Alliance with waypoints marked and quest notes that I have added myself. So for this reason I felt a bit lost when I loaded up Mazz and found it had Cartographer which I had never used, since I used a fresh WTF folder I didn't have any SVs to worry about deleting.

I am all for trying new stuff so I thought I'd give Cartographer a try but for my own ease of use I think I'll go back down the Metamap route, I'm not knocking Cartographer as I've heard it's miles better than Metamap but I know MM better.

11-19-07, 12:19 PM   #9
DeTard
Premium Member
Premium Member
Sorry, that wasn't really a knock on anyone using Metamap, it's for people that are having problems with Cartographer in the first place. And all the SVs for nearly every addon uses the addon name as the filename of their SV. You should see a series of Cartographer_* files in your WTF folders, some in the SV folder for you individual character, some in the min SV folder for your account. You'll just have to take a look through of them. And no, you don't have to DELETE them really, but make sure they aren't there while working with Mazzle at first if you are running into problems. If this doesn't fix it, sure, go ahead and put the SV file back.... but this is definitely a huge step in helping most problems with ALL addons. I know a lot of people will say they started with a new WTF folder, but they'll leave it there hoping that isn't the problem....
11-19-07, 01:58 PM   #10
Banalina902
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Since I'd been missing the smart ass comments Cartographer loved to tell me after I died yet another totally unjustified death (SW when enfeebled is sooo much fun). I had a quick (20min) look around the intrawhebs to find a Cartographer faq or whatever so I could turn those back on. Wow, hard to find. If you can find something, post a link here. Thanks!
11-19-07, 02:19 PM   #11
DeTard
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Banalina902
Since I'd been missing the smart ass comments Cartographer loved to tell me after I died yet another totally unjustified death (SW when enfeebled is sooo much fun). I had a quick (20min) look around the intrawhebs to find a Cartographer faq or whatever so I could turn those back on. Wow, hard to find. If you can find something, post a link here. Thanks!
It's under waypoints - if you look there you'll find the options for CorpsePoint and the smart ass comments too. See? I knew you liked smart asses.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Cartographer help