05-02-08, 10:23 AM   #1
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
concern over WowAceUpdater

I've been using WAU for about a month now and recently a guildie mentioned that he read that, either WAU or another updater was hacked, and modified with a keylogger or something.

Not quite sure whether to believe him but he was quite adamant that he read it and that it had actually occurred.

Can anyone provide some more info on this please as to whether its true or if there's anything to worry about when using WAU?

Any help appreciated,

Mas
05-02-08, 10:27 AM   #2
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Look down a couple articles on the news page. UICentral, not WAU.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15674

05-02-08, 11:27 AM   #3
Masaq
An Aku'mai Servant
Ok so I've had a look at the thread that you provided me. Thanks. But as a somewhat technically challenged type, can this happen with WAU? Either in the form of some kind of legal challenge or as a victim of hacking?

Just want to put my mind at rest about using WAU is all.
05-02-08, 11:31 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
WAU is fine.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-02-08, 11:36 AM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

WAU did have a problem with an advertisement trying to install the extremely annoying (and difficult to remove) WinFixer "scareware" program. However there was no keylogger involved and the issue was nothing to do with WAU itself, rather one banner ad. Kaelten is raising hell with the ad folks and currently the ads in WAU have been disabled.

Details here: http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=12562.0
05-02-08, 07:50 PM   #6
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Masaq View Post
Ok so I've had a look at the thread that you provided me. Thanks. But as a somewhat technically challenged type, can this happen with WAU? Either in the form of some kind of legal challenge or as a victim of hacking?

Just want to put my mind at rest about using WAU is all.
So far as i am aware (and someone please correct me if im not) WAU is only handled/made available from the team that runs the site. Unless im mistaken that takes the bad guys out of the loop assuming you trust the Ace dev team. And there is no reason not to as in my eyes they have proven they are good folks. After that its up to you to keep your system clean.

If its any consolation ive been using WAU since shortly after its release. I have never had any issue come up do to it.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » concern over WowAceUpdater