11-18-08, 04:27 PM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Chat issues.

So.... mazzle used to do this i know... is there any easy way to copy chat box layouts between chars? i tried copying all the saved variables and wtf from one char to the next but the chat layout didnt stick.
11-18-08, 04:48 PM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Usually I just copy all the contents from within the character profile to the other character. For example:

\World of Warcraft\WTF\ACCOUNT\<accountname>\<server>\<charname>\

Copy all the files and folder from there, and paste them in the folder from the other char you want them in, and overwrite all files.
11-18-08, 05:01 PM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I think the way chatframes are set up and saved are stored server side now instead of client side.

I've tried everything I can think of to save the chat tab names and settings through wtf, but it never sets it up on other toons. It's possible that profiles 'can' do this, but I don't see how with Prat. I can't setup new tabs with Prat, I can't name tabs with Prat, I can't aquire new channels with Prat, all I can do to these things with Prat is adjust fonts and window sizes that are already created (there's a lot more to it, I know, but in the broadest of terms it's truth).

Hopefully I'm wrong and we can have someone give a 'How to' on this subject to get a better detailed explanation.
11-18-08, 05:01 PM   #4
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Did that, and for some reason it didnt change the chat box's. i will try again...
11-18-08, 05:03 PM   #5
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

Yea, prat may have controlled the chat pre 3.0 or at any rate yea i think pre wotlk it was client side cuz just a few weeks back coping wtf files would move the chat box settings from one char to another. now it dos not. Now i cant get the chat box placement and settings other then whats controlled threw prat to move from char to char.
11-18-08, 05:13 PM   #6
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Hmm I didn't know the chatframes were serverside as well now ...
If that's the case, then I think all you can do about it is reconfigure them.
11-18-08, 05:18 PM   #7
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I wonder if there's a website that has info on everything Blizz stores server side now. I'm not 100% sure chatframe settings are, but after 2-3 hours trying, I think it is the case.
11-18-08, 05:35 PM   #8
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

According to the patch notes
Macros and key bindings are now saved server-side so there is no longer a need to reconfigure them when logging in using another computer.
Seems to only be about macro's and key bindings?

EDIT: and a forums post states:
* Key bindings, macros, and many UI settings are now stored on the server and will be available wherever you play.
Looking further to find out what "many UI settings" is.

Last edited by Psoewish : 11-18-08 at 05:38 PM.
11-18-08, 06:07 PM   #9
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

its gotta include the chat frames settings because im positive a few weeks ago i could move the chat settings via a wtf file.
11-18-08, 06:16 PM   #10
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

so if the chat frames are now server side.... that doesn't mean we cant use an add on to edit the settings and store profiles.... prolly just gonna take some time for someone to make it. i noticed prat is updating daily almost so maybe thats what there working on. this change was after the initial 3.0 patch so... i guess will wait and see and in the mean time have to set it up by hand... blah.
11-18-08, 06:24 PM   #11
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Found a blue post
Right now if you want to disable the setting synchronization, you can do this on each computer where you want only local settings:
/console synchronizeSettings 0

In 3.0.3 you will be able to manage macros vs key bindings separately:
/console synchronizeConfig 0
-- turns off synchronization of UI settings
/console synchronizeBindings 0
-- turns off synchronization of key bindings
/console synchronizeMacros 0
-- turns off synchronization of macros

Whenever settings are downloaded from the server, the old settings are saved in <file>.old, so you can quickly log out, move them back into place and they'll be uploaded to the server (unless synchronizeSettings is 0).
Have fun :]
11-18-08, 07:46 PM   #12
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

wait okay so if sync is off then chatframes remain local?
so then how do i go about moving them from char to char? just turn off the sync and then what move the wtf? or turn sync on and then move wtf?
11-18-08, 08:12 PM   #13
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yeah, I'm a little confused as well, please link sources if it's something more complex than Edit else in line 221 from "else" to "elseif"... that's specific enough to figure out, what you pasted is good news it seems, but not particularly specific enough to be truly useful. I'll try hunting the link down to your source though, thanks .

Edit: Link to his source.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...sid=1&pageNo=2

Last edited by Yhor : 11-18-08 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Found link
11-19-08, 01:26 AM   #14
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

im still a little confused looking at that thread. Sooo what dos this mean? turn sync off and i should be able to then copy chat settings from char to char?
11-19-08, 01:30 AM   #15
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm pretty lost on the how to of it myself, I tried toying with it, then I got sidetracked on other things.
11-19-08, 02:08 AM   #16
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

yea i just toyed with it more. its off and ive tried everything deleting files loging in and out and so on and so forth and no mater what i do i cant get the chat settings to transfer over to other chars.... its getting annoying...
11-19-08, 02:50 AM   #17
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Well yeah, I would've linked the source, but there wasn't much useful information in that thread. That blue post seemed to be a summary of what had been posted in the thread.

I have no idea how to do it myself, and am quite happy to have it server-side tbh, so I'm not going to toy with it either.
11-21-08, 11:34 AM   #18
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

hmm so has no one figured this out yet? i posted it on bliz forums to and no response yet. going to be a pain in the butt if we cant copy chat settings for distributing full UI comps. Or for that mater just between my own 10 chars heh.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Chat issues.