11-21-08, 07:44 AM   #1
Fiercy
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Kgpanels and parenting

Hi, i have a question for those users of eepanels or kgpanels. I'm making a new UI with kgpanels and i'm having some problems parenting. I made 3 panels, 1 for the chat, minimap, and 3 for the actionbars.

The problem is whenever i put in, ChatFrame1 or Minimap, it doesn't parent at all... And i'm using dominos for the actionbars, and i don't know the name of the frames, even after using the FrameFinder in Kgpanels nothing happens.
Thanks in advance.
There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny. Each of those things are just a small part of it. I collect information to use in my own way. All of that blends to create a mixture that forms me and gives rise to my conscience.
11-21-08, 08:02 AM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Hmm well are you sure you understand the difference between Parenting and Anchoring?

When you parent a panel to a frame, it will inherit all properties of the parent. So for example if I would parent a frame to the battlemap, and I turn off the battlemap, then the panel will go away as well.

Anchoring however, is something totally different. I can't really find the words to describe it well right now, but it's basically the position of the panel relative to the frame you're anchoring it to.

In other words, parenting will at first sight not do anything at all, while anchoring will move the frame around, and the offsets will be relative to the actual frame you anchored to, rather than the UIParent.

About Dominos, it uses buttons rather than the complete bar. This is the thing that gave me lots of trouble trying to parent & anchor a panel to my classbar, since it's dynamic across characters and the bars are made up of buttons.

To use the frame finder on them, you'll have to drag an icon on the button you want, or turn on the option to show empty buttons, as hidden things do not get registered by the frame finder.
11-21-08, 08:36 AM   #3
Fiercy
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Psoewish View Post
Hmm well are you sure you understand the difference between Parenting and Anchoring?

When you parent a panel to a frame, it will inherit all properties of the parent. So for example if I would parent a frame to the battlemap, and I turn off the battlemap, then the panel will go away as well.

Anchoring however, is something totally different. I can't really find the words to describe it well right now, but it's basically the position of the panel relative to the frame you're anchoring it to.

In other words, parenting will at first sight not do anything at all, while anchoring will move the frame around, and the offsets will be relative to the actual frame you anchored to, rather than the UIParent.

About Dominos, it uses buttons rather than the complete bar. This is the thing that gave me lots of trouble trying to parent & anchor a panel to my classbar, since it's dynamic across characters and the bars are made up of buttons.

To use the frame finder on them, you'll have to drag an icon on the button you want, or turn on the option to show empty buttons, as hidden things do not get registered by the frame finder.

Yes i know the difference between parenting and anchoring. I want to make the panels fixed at 0,0 of that intended frame. For some reason it just won't pick up the location of the minimap or the 1st chatframe. Instead all it does is make the panel in the middle of the screen and contour its self to the intended frame, which is stupid if i told it to parent to something.

As for the dominos thanks for the tip, you can do it do ways, either parent it to all the buttons or be like me and only parent 1 panel and then anchor the rest to it (using fixed padding between the buttons)
There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny. Each of those things are just a small part of it. I collect information to use in my own way. All of that blends to create a mixture that forms me and gives rise to my conscience.
11-21-08, 08:59 AM   #4
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Instead all it does is make the panel in the middle of the screen and contour its self to the intended frame
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean by that.
11-21-08, 09:44 AM   #5
Fiercy
A Cyclonian

Nevermind, i had to both use the same variable for the parent and anchor, unlike I've done in the past. Thanks for your help!

**Problem Fixed**

Last edited by Fiercy : 11-21-08 at 09:47 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Kgpanels and parenting