08-11-09, 09:10 AM   #1
Riamus
A Defias Bandit

Question Any chance of someone taking over MobInfo (again)?

Anyone out there willing to continue development of MobInfo (or even better, start from scratch and make a better version of it)? I've heard people argue that it's not worth doing because you don't need MobHealth anymore, but that's not what many people use the mod for anyhow. Many of us use it to see what mobs drop and to search for specific item we're looking for to find out what it drops from. It's useful for us. So please, if you're just going to say how useless it is to you, or how bloated/memory intense it is, or something like that... just don't bother. What matters in any mod is how useful it is to those who want to use it.

Anyhow, MobInfo2 worked well and then got dropped. Someone came along and made an update (I think they actually just copied off someone else's fix that was posted in a forum and called it their own) and left. Another person started MobInfo3, but only made a single release of it and disappeared. It still works, but it really could use improvements. There are a lot of tickets on Curseforge for MobInfo3.

Ideally, someone would just make a new mod that tracks loot, damage, kills, etc. from mobs. But that requires much more work than just improving what's already there. I'd be happy either way and so would many others. We just need the outdated functionality (mobhealth or vendor price display for example -- though vendor price is needed to show loot value, but that is probably possible to get from the new in-game vendor price) removed to cut down on memory usage and then fix the items that need fixed and make just general improvements to it... or just a completely new mod.

Is there anyone out there at all willing to do this? Also, regardless whether someone makes a new mod or updates either MI2 or MI3, the new mod or version NEEDS to be able to import mob data from both MI2 and MI3 (I think it's all the same format so importing from one should work with the other besides having the MI2 changed to MI3 in the lua file).

And if you're going to work on this, please keep me updated on progress (PM me) as I'd like to know that it isn't just dropped again.
09-08-09, 03:49 PM   #2
Tobelia
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Agreed, a "new" or an active mobinfoX would be just great

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Any chance of someone taking over MobInfo (again)?