06-08-10, 01:04 AM   #1
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Taking UIScale into account when calculating width?

Hey guys,

I'm creating a frame in my addon that fills the width of the screen. To do this, of course, I need to set the width of the frame to the width of the current screen resolution.

But there is the nasty little problem of UI scale. How can I take the user's UI scale into account when calculating the width for my frame?
06-08-10, 01:27 AM   #2
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Why not just do frame:SetPoint("LEFT", UIParent, "LEFT", 0, 0); frame:SetPoint("RIGHT", UIParent, "RIGHT", 0, 0) which should work.
06-08-10, 01:51 AM   #3
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Why not just do frame:SetPoint("LEFT", UIParent, "LEFT", 0, 0); frame:SetPoint("RIGHT", UIParent, "RIGHT", 0, 0) which should work.
Well, alright, I left something out of my original post for the the sake of simplification.

What I'm building is made up of three pieces: two endcaps and a middle tiling fill. The endcaps are in place and work fine, but in order to set the middle piece's width appropriately I need the screen width with UI scale factored in.
06-08-10, 02:10 AM   #4
Unkn
Premium Member

Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
Well, alright, I left something out of my original post for the the sake of simplification.

What I'm building is made up of three pieces: two endcaps and a middle tiling fill. The endcaps are in place and work fine, but in order to set the middle piece's width appropriately I need the screen width with UI scale factored in.
Anchor the tiling to the endcaps.
06-08-10, 05:13 AM   #5
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

you could make a frame which goes behind the ends and stretches out 2000 px or so, to cover any resolution. unless it's tiled.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-08-10, 05:51 AM   #6
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
frame:SetPoint("LEFT", UIParent) frame:SetPoint("RIGHT", UIParent) suffices.
06-08-10, 09:54 AM   #7
iindigo
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Wella View Post
you could make a frame which goes behind the ends and stretches out 2000 px or so, to cover any resolution. unless it's tiled.
Actually, that's part of the reason I need to do this. I'm having to rewrite one of my personal addons because it no longer works with my new display's resolution (2560x1440), as it was designed for 1680x1050. I want to do it in a way that I won't need to rewrite it again; that is, it will function correctly regardless of resolution.

And yes, it's tiled.
06-08-10, 12:13 PM   #8
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
If you don't anchor your frame to the UIParent you could always just use WorldFrame:GetWidth() but if you really need to get the width with scale then you'll need to wait till VARIABLES_LOADED has fired and then you can check UIParent:GetWidth()

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 06-08-10 at 12:42 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Taking UIScale into account when calculating width?