07-03-06, 04:52 PM   #1
Porsus
A Kobold Labourer
Question re. loading saved var file

I'm sorry if this has been already answered (I looked for the first 10 pp), but I'm having a hard time (after a lot of reading) of how to manage loading a previously saved and correctly formatted table.

Basically, I just want to load a saved file. I know I this is done sequentially after the mod has loaded (but not as real-time IO), but I can't anywhere's get a simple explanation of how to correctly call the table.

Is there no way to specify an existing data (table) file, and have it loaded into memory (as a var) and then do operations on it?

To be clear: I have a lua file with a table with data already in it -- I just want to be able to access it. I can't seem to find any operators or tricks, just ways to write new files {}. I don't expect any real-time file I/O (just call it from memory and display in a frame once maybe).

I've been up and down Curse and WoWwiki and http://wow.tentonhammer.com/index.ph...splay&ceid=357 and I really would appreciate some advanced help. Thanks.

Last edited by Porsus : 07-03-06 at 04:54 PM.
07-05-06, 12:11 PM   #2
Iriel
Super Moderator
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The .lua file is just executed, so if it has:

BIGBADTABLE = {
["I like cheese"] = 1;
}

Then you'd be able to access

BIGBADTABLE["I like cheese"]

Once the ADDON_LOADED event fires for the addon whose saved variables contain that data.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Question re. loading saved var file