05-29-09, 09:50 PM   #1
Deathdancer75
A Murloc Raider

No saved variables

I have been trying for three days now to get things set up an working proper.

Previous down loads seemed to have worked but for the past couple days Ive not been getting any type of profile options when dealing with UI complalations such as MenktUIv3.0Widescreen1680x1050 or KittyUI from Kitty Safe.

Others that I have downloaded are having the same result. Going to configure the addons such as Bartender 3 or Recount or anything else that requites a profile to look as the original UI poster are not found. Everything just has your current toons name or default profile no other options.

I posted this in Menkts UI comments as well and they have gone though and resubmitted the upload what seems to be more than once and still the saved variables do not seem to "take"

Anyone else having this issue other than the ones in the original thread

http://www.wowinterface.com/download....html#comments
05-31-09, 12:15 AM   #2
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Check first to make sure the files in the saved variables folders are not set to read only.

Also of note, someone had a similar issue last week and it was due to a Virus on their machine which was completely deleting all of the stuff in the WTF folder when they started WoW and then putting it back when WoW exited. They found it by doing a full scan with a fully updated AVG.

Hopefully that's not your issue, but your symptoms are the same so I thought I'd share.
05-31-09, 04:39 AM   #3
Deathdancer75
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by stormkeep View Post
Check first to make sure the files in the saved variables folders are not set to read only.

Also of note, someone had a similar issue last week and it was due to a Virus on their machine which was completely deleting all of the stuff in the WTF folder when they started WoW and then putting it back when WoW exited. They found it by doing a full scan with a fully updated AVG.

Hopefully that's not your issue, but your symptoms are the same so I thought I'd share.

Thanks for the input. No virus at all. Just redid the system couple weeks back and run avast virus scan always. But I did do as suggested and nothing was found. Checked files to see if they where set to read only and they where not. Dont really have a clue as to whats up with it but Ive given up on trying and went with nUI (no custom WTF files needed) so things are working. As to what Ive added after installing nUI (arkinventory and others that do need saved variables to function once set up) all seems to work as should.

May have been something to do with my extractor program (Winzip or what have you) Who knows /shrug

Thanks once again for suggesting.
05-31-09, 04:57 AM   #4
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Deathdancer75 View Post
Thanks for the input. No virus at all. Just redid the system couple weeks back and run avast virus scan always. But I did do as suggested and nothing was found. Checked files to see if they where set to read only and they where not. Dont really have a clue as to whats up with it but Ive given up on trying and went with nUI (no custom WTF files needed) so things are working. As to what Ive added after installing nUI (arkinventory and others that do need saved variables to function once set up) all seems to work as should.

May have been something to do with my extractor program (Winzip or what have you) Who knows /shrug

Thanks once again for suggesting.
Well, I'm glad for you it was not a virus! I know my friend that had that last week was very paranoid it was some kind of keylogger. Once he got rid of it he had to go and change all of his online passwords (especially WoW) etc. and it's still got him a bit nervous.

Better to have the problem remain a mystery than fix it by discovering a virus.
05-31-09, 05:12 AM   #5
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Did you renamed the folders in the WTF folder properly? You have to rename the "Acc name here" folder to the name of your account, "Your Serv here" to the name of the server you play on, and "Your Char here" to what your character's name is. To get the UI to work on my computer, I'd be renaming the respective folders to "ACCOUNT" "R'elm" and "Kharictor". Now I'd be able to use MenktUI on my toon named Kharictor on the R'elm server.

Also, are you extracting the WTF folder to your desktop (or some other temporary folder) and verifying the files are there?
05-31-09, 05:50 AM   #6
Deathdancer75
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by stormkeep View Post
Better to have the problem remain a mystery than fix it by discovering a virus.
This is true. I had a major run in few months back so I know all to well what your friend is going though. Its a pain but its all part of the digital world we live in now.

Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
Did you renamed the folders in the WTF folder properly? You have to rename the "Acc name here" folder to the name of your account, "Your Serv here" to the name of the server you play on, and "Your Char here" to what your character's name is. To get the UI to work on my computer, I'd be renaming the respective folders to "ACCOUNT" "R'elm" and "Kharictor". Now I'd be able to use MenktUI on my toon named Kharictor on the R'elm server.

Also, are you extracting the WTF folder to your desktop (or some other temporary folder) and verifying the files are there?
Thanks for the input and assist in trying to solve the issue.

Yes Ive used custom interfaces and adapted others for sometime now. All paths are correct and I do extract them to desktop in a temp folder before hand to change path and set up. Im not really sure what the issue was, my partner had a run in with the same thing last night, he unzipped the folder with windows default program or something dont really know cus I wasnt the one doing so but end result was the same. I think it was the extraction that went wonky and things not getting read proper.

End result gave up he fixed his issue and I just installed something else that didnt require a saved variable WTF file. Alls right in the World (of Warcraft)

Last edited by Deathdancer75 : 05-31-09 at 05:53 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » No saved variables