06-26-16, 02:35 PM   #1
Tercioo
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
The beta client doesn't seem to be using the existing copy of the texture that's been loaded into memory and is creating a new copy of it every time the texture is set.

I'm not sure if it can't tell that the textures are the same because of what they did to texture paths, but I don't think this is intentional because loading new textures is extremely slow compared to reusing the copy in memory.
Did a test on this and yeah, it's reading the texture from the hard drive each time SetTexture() is called.
I don't believe this will be up for the release.

Hey @MunkDev, thank you for the tips.

07-11-16, 07:32 AM   #2
MaXiMiUS
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Tercioo View Post
Did a test on this and yeah, it's reading the texture from the hard drive each time SetTexture() is called.
I don't believe this will be up for the release.

Hey @MunkDev, thank you for the tips.
I certainly hope it's not like this on release, as it's making my addon kill my framerate (60FPS to 12FPS) when it doesn't impact framerate at all on live. These are textures I need to update on every frame too, as it's extremely choppy if I throttle the OnUpdate calls.

Edit: Nevermind I guess, I found what the real killer was. Unnecessary Hide(texture) calls every OnUpdate, followed promptly by Show(texture).

Edit 2: Still getting unacceptable FPS drops when I first call SetTexture on something new, though -- even if the texture has previously been used as recently as 10 seconds ago. Who at Blizzard thought it was a good idea to unload this stuff from memory immediately when loading it from the drive causes such a big performance hit? Just loading 1-2 fresh textures for SetTexture *once* causes a 15 FPS dip for 1-2 seconds -_-

Last edited by MaXiMiUS : 07-13-16 at 06:01 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » Getting performance issues with SetTexture()